As a survival guide, I regularly get asked what type of mosquito netting is most effective. “Is nylon most effective? I’ve heard that polypropylene is best outdoors. Is this true? What about polyester netting? Is cotton more natural?”
Okay, first of all, not all netting is the same. Each type of netting has its own pros and cons. For example, cotton mosquito netting is quite nice to the touch, but it tends not to last very long, it is horrible outdoors, and it has a tendency to tear much more easily. So scratch out cotton netting for anything other than say, nice looking but less-than-practical canopy bed nets.
Next, Nylon. Nylon is alright. I don’t use nylon netting all that often, but it is okay in an emergency. If I have the choice between cotton and nylon, I would take nylon, but if I have the choice between nylon and polyester, my money is on the polyester netting.
Okay, so what about polypropylene? Polypropylene is probably best for outdoors only and is best for screening purposes. It usually had less holes per square inch than polyester netting, and it can be very irritating to skin after a long period of time, so I would not use it as a bed net or for mosquito net clothing.
Mosquitoes also spread havoc by spreading many dreadful diseases. Malaria, dengue, west nile virus are few diseases that are transmitted through mosquitoes. It is very important that we protect ourselves from mosquito bites to reduce the spread of diseases. As mosquitoes need standing water to complete their life cycle, we need to remove and clean all the places where there are possibilities of still water. One effective way in protecting ourselves from mosquito bites is use of best mosquito repellents. There are many types of mosquito repellents like DEET, Picaridin, Permethrin and Citronella. Mosquito repellents with DEET is said to be most effective and last longer. Also you need to be careful when using on small babies. Check out best mosquito repellents for small babies that are safe.
One company authored when you knock in your wood and listen to a tapping kind of answer that will be termites beating their heads from the wall to warn their colony of danger. Exactly the same company also recommends that if you notice dark or blistered coloring in your wood floor which may be scrapped away having a knife then you’re in danger.
Treatment for Termite: You will find many treatments available available today. Many of them happen to be pressed towards the curb while the very best techniques only have grown popular. We’ll review typically the most popular and much more effective techniques while explaining some lengthy lasting effective techniques you can use to maintain termites out later on. Whether you have termites, or browsing the internet looking for off to prevent termites, think about the following before other things:
- Eliminate any excess supply of water throughout the house. Most types of termites are drawn to moist areas. Whether they can find moist land, along with a nice wooden structure, they is going to do the things they’re doing best.
- Install or fix the vents around your home. Make certain your structure gets sufficient ventilation.
- Eliminate wooden debris (models which are divided, not washed, not used any longer)
- Ensuring you remove any connection between wood and soil. Termites search for locations that permit quick access to moist land, while remaining close to the wooden structure they’re feasting on. Close-up all potential spaces and also you will not are having issues.
Controlling Mosquito Population in Your Yard
Every step taken to control the mosquitoes has a cumulative effect and contributes immensely to control malaria. Find and remove any puddles of water or standing water around your home to reduce breeding sites. Pesticides may be applied to control larvae (larvicides) or adults (adulticides). Applications of adulticides or larvicides are made after the presence of mosquitoes has been demonstrated by surveillance procedures. The CDC recommends that control measures, including the decision to use chemical adulticides (pesticides to kill adult mosquitoes) should be based on surveillance data and the risk of human disease. The eggs developing within the female mosquito need human blood for nourishment and so the female mosquito bites humans.
- Puncture unusable tires in the yard to prevent pools of water from forming inside them.
- Application is made by prescribed standards.
- CDC’s West Nile Virus in the United States: Guidelines for Surveillance, Prevention, and Control, updated for the first time since 2003, incorporates the most up-to-date understanding of how West Nile virus spreads between mosquitoes, birds, and people.
- By personal protection against mosquito bites, this blood meal can be denied, leading to reduction in mosquito eggs and hence mosquito population.
- Wipe out your bird-bath every few days.
- All insecticides must have the name and amount of active ingredient (AI) appearing on the label; examples are DEET and pyrethroids.
- The guidelines feature the development of procedures to protect people from West Nile virus including suggestions for a phased response and the actions that are possible at different levels of virus activity.
Personal protection includes closure of windows and doors to prevent entry; protection of humans against mosquito bite by using bed nets (insecticide treated) and mosquito repellent. The eggs can get stuck to the bottom and survive dry periods. Sometimes it is not possible to eliminate all standing water. Other predators such as the predatory mosquito Toxorhynchites,some families of aquatic bugs and beetles, tadpoles, flatworms, nematodes,cope pods etc. have been used as biological control agent against mosquitoes.Protozoa, fungi, bacteria and viruses pathogenic to mosquito larvae have also been considered as the biological control agent. Some species even pose threats to public health as vectors of diseases like dengue fever – a severe mosquito-borne disease characterized by high fever, headache, rash, joint and muscular pain. This is the best way to control mosquitoes since they lay eggs in specific areas and these areas can be managed. Add drainage holes to structures and containers that may trap water (barrels, old tires). Change or circulate the water in stock tanks, pet bowls and bird-baths at least once a week. Drain tarps and covers of collected rainwater after a rain (i.e. silage covers). During the day, mosquitoes like to rest in tall grass or among shrubs in a moist, shady spot. If you have a bird bath or a pond, for example, you can treat the water with larvicides that you can purchase at most gardening or home improvement stores. However, they are still inexperimental stages of development or give limited effect on the control exceptthe Bacillus.
Aedesalbopictus, a vector of dengue fever and dengue hemorrhagic fever, is prevalent in Hong Kong. Keeping the grass short deprives them of a resting place. Most of these products contain either methoprene or Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis, neither of which are believed to be toxic to humans, pets, fish, or birds when used appropriately. It breeds both in rural and urban areas and its breeding places can be grouped into two broad categories: artificial receptacles like containers, discarded tyres, lunch boxes and cans; and natural habitats such as tree holes, bamboo stumps and leaf axis. Also, rake up any fallen leaves.
Biological control is the use of natural enemies to manage mosquito populations. An overturned leaf can hold enough water for a mosquito’s eggs, and also give them a place to wait out the day. There are several types of biological control including the direct introduction of parasites, pathogens and predators to target mosquitoes. The Placer Mosquito and Vector Control District employs mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis), a predatory fish that feeds on mosquito larvae.